The history of the former “Gebe” factory dates back to 1897. Back then, Gebe produced lamps, and later on mainly gas stoves on a total area of 4,300 m² between Westbahn rails, Linzer Straße and Ameisgasse.
The original architectural structure of the site was designed by Carl Langhammer. It comprises a 90 metre long and 15 metre high production hall with large iron lattice windows and an exposed brickwork and plaster façade. On account of its importance for industry and architecture, the façade, the external appearance of the attached boiler house, as well as a chimney, were put under a preservation order. Another factory building, that had primarily accommodated administration units, was not included and therefore removed and replaced by a new residential building.
The Gebe factory area has developed into a new, multifaceted quarter with 92 residential units, a supermarket and underground parking. A spacious square with generous green and open areas links modern architecture with industrial charm.
7600 m² Wohnnutzfläche
Spreitzer ZT GmbH
K2 Bauphysik GmbH